Friday 4 March 2011

Tie me Kangaroo down!

I saw Kangeroooooos!
Oh yeeeh!
For some reason catching a glimpse of those ridiculous animals makes it seem kinda official. Oh, wow, look! A kangaroo!...I guess I really am in Australia!
And don't think me mean for referring to them as ridiculous, because they really are.
They have faces and eyes like a horse, ears and paws like rabbits, the torso of a bear (and by this I just mean its round and furry!) a tail like...well, its just really very long and the bottom half of the love child of a clown and a rugby player! And thats not the weirdest bit! The weirdest part is its behaviourisms, they're almost a bit...human. We went to the animal park and they where all just chilling in the grass, soaking up the sun, when one of them noticed we were walking bye. So it sat up, yawned and followed us with its gaze, whilst resting on its elbow. Another stood up, stretched and started scratching its armpit! For some reason the fact it did this with its other paw rather than with its teeth was really rather comical, although I couldn't really tell you why! However, despite these human characteristics there is one distinct difference between people and kangeroos. 
Kangeroos can't fart.

Gworing up in England you get the impression that where ever you go on holiday the food there will be cheaper than it is abroad. WRONG!
We went food shopping yesterday and it was 5 dollars, so thats around £3.50 for a pack of 6 slices of ham! I was appaled! A average sized pack of minced beef was around 10 dollars (so lets say £7) and a smal bottle of dove shampoo was over ten dollars! Overall we went in with a shopping list of 
Aftersun
Moisturiser
Stuff for lunch (sandwiches)
Stuff for tea (chilli con carne)

We came out with
Tea bags.

Jolly good old chaps I say! And after that there shin dig I was like WotWot!? Out we come to visit the colanies and they try to extort us so!? Weeeeell, I said that's just not cricket I say I say!
I guess we're far more English than we previously thought.

Something I'm very greatful of is that the family we are currently staying with, Jake's Auntie,has a four year old daughter, and so she often comes out with the little things that only a four year old girl could come out with. It fills in a little hole that I guess has been made by a lack of hearing the silly things Lou often says! Anyway, our conversation on the way back from getting ice cream went something like this.
"Bes! (struggling with the "TH") There's a koala up there"
"Ooooh yes! He's probably having a nap because it's very hot at the moment"
"That's good, I wouldn't want him to come down and steal our icecreams!"
"...do koalas often rush out of trees to nick peoples icecreams?"
"well, no. But I bet they get angry, because they don't get to eat icecreams very often"

Following this comment was a conversation based solely around why koalas don't often eat icecreams. We came up with the following contributing factors
  • Koalas are too short to reach the counter
  • They can't hold the stick properly, so would have to shove it in their mouths in one go and get brain freeze.
  • Koalas wouldn't be able to open the packaging
  • Nor could they reach into the icecream storage box thing without climbing ontop of it, and I'm pretty sure the super markets don't like you climbing on their icecream boxes!
  • Supermarkets in Australia have quite a strict "Please leave your rucksack at the door" policy. This causes marsupials several problems (admittedly I brought this one up)
  • Aaaaaand Koalas aren't very good with money.
I'm off to the beach now! Its very warm today, again, and our bus leaves soon. I'll probably write again later...it's pretty addictive.
Love to all those back home
xxx


2 comments:

  1. Hope your both having a fantastic time, enjoy every minute and be safe
    Lots of love Emma, Jack, Rohan, Niamh & Callum
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realised I am the third Emma to write on here...the other two being your aunty and 'the other muvva Emms'..so lovely you have children around you buut also great you are managing to skype with Emms, your dad P and Lou..... I am looking forward to seeing you ...really miss you...I mean really..I am so proud of the woman you have become and its so lovely to see the family supporting you....much love mummy middleton

    ReplyDelete