Sunday 13 March 2011

Laygo

You may be wondering, what is this laygo I speak of? Is it some Australian thing? Or maybe some fantasy item? No.
It is Lego, but for some reason alot of Australians have that annoying, rather American habit of prounouncing certain words belonging to our language incorrectly. (and yes, I do stubbornly maintain that the language of "English" belongs to the people of England, and therfore if anyone pronounces it differently to us they are WRONG!). This includes status being pronounced to rhyme with cat-us (if there was such a word), and route managing to rhyme with about.
Me and Jake where discussing the odities of language on our way back from the bus stop, with ecclectic comments about how bazaar it is, and Jake randomly comes out with "Whats the plural of sausages". I thought about this for a bit, and replied "I don't know, I've never really thought about it, I guess it would be sausagi.", "Hmm, it's funny how little that word comes up in conversation". We were quiet for a moment, both being lost in our own little thought bubbles, then all of a sudden a confused/concerned look simultaniously spread across our faces...
"Sausages is the plural, isn't it"
"Yup."
"And "Sausage" is the singular"
"Sure is!"
"...Lets not ever mention this to anyone"
...*perfect blogging moment, Thaaankyou!*
It seems amazing that after speaking a language for about 17 years all it takes is a day in the heat to scramble your brain!

Back to the subject of lego (or laygo, depending on your diction), we got a box of the stuff out earlier and began to have a good old remeniccent building session, aided, of course, by the 4 and 6 year old we're staying with (Please! We wouldn't be sad enough to start playing kiddy games without some children to pin the immaturity on!). We managed to build a superdog, a house and garden for said superdog, along with a car, a garage and a campervan. Jake was the brains and muscle behind the car. As we're putting our creations back into their box, after all the hard work and attention to detail that had gone into them (not to mention the sweat and tears, and believe me there was a lot of the latter!) Jake says to us, concern in his voice,
"Put them back carefully! Don't you dare break them!"
And just as I'm putting the garage in...complete with car
"but you couldn't break my car, it's indistructable!"
At that moment I tilt the garage and the car comes rolling out. It hits the floor with a CRASH and bits fly everywhere, a firework display in plastic primary colours! I glance back at Jake, all 6ft 7 of him statue like in horror! Mouth wide open. Disbeliefe in his eyes!
"Why would you doooooo that!?"
"It was an accident! I promise!"
"Noooo! Really! Why!?"
"I was distracted for a second and just tilted the garage a bit and...actually. Your 18, its lego, I'm not going to feel bad about it"
At this point Jake is scrabbling around on the floor, picking up pieces and trying to put it back together.

"I can't find the break light!!!"
"Nope, I REFUSE to feel bad about this" *walking out*
"Now people are going to crash into the back of me!"
"Nope, refusing!"
"It won't pass its M.O.T!!!"
This is the main reason I've found time to write my blog ...he's currently ignoring me.
I maintain that I have nothing to feel guilty about. It's not my fault nobody put the handbreak on! Goh! Laygo drivers nowadays!

I'll write again soon, I realise there's been rather a large gap in my efforts. Admitedly I have been SUPER busy. Going to the beeeach , soaking up the sun, enjoying ice cold beers. But hey ho, as is life, ;)

T.T.F.N
Beth

P.S. Jake has just come in with the offer of a cup of tea, I think it's fair to say I've been forgiven. I think he may be missing his car just a liiiiiiittle bit more than he's been letting on.

2 comments:

  1. No comment on the sausage bit ha ha :P. ah ha..... now we know what to buy Jake for Crimbo...or Birthday is first..August..lol...a lego car ha ha ha..I wonder if we will remember? he can take it to uni with him lol....beep beep...Jake coming through..low suspension and darkened windows.... not sure I can find a lego car like that but will have a go......

    Love the fact Jake made you a cuppa...He is such a lovely man...remember that cake? Such a good cook!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,
    Loving your blog. you have a great way of expressing yourself!
    Keep safe.
    Love and prayers as always.
    Nanny & grandad.

    ReplyDelete