Monday 7 March 2011

SunSafe

Lets open this post with a fun little fact. Did you know that UV rays can penatrate through clouds? Did you? Really?!
WELL NOBODY TOLD ME!!!
I am very sunburnt. So sunburnt infact that I could stick a couple of straws to my forhead, take a dip in the sea, join a lobster colanie, get caught in a lobster trap, be taken onto the boat where the fisherman would think it their lucky day because not ONLY have they captured the worlds biggest lobster but also the worlds only talking/blogging lobster! I would then be sold to a freak show and live out the rest of my life alone and miserable, taunted by the paying customers, with the stage name of "Lobbie the Lobster girl", a meer side attraction to the fat, beareded siamese twin ladies. *Siiiiiiigh*
...Ok, admittedly this a bit over dramatic but I hope I've made my point.
Another down side of being burnt in Australia is that the whole attitude to the sun is very different here to in England. Here I have a 6 year old giong "Are you sun safe? You need your hat and some sunglasses and a long sleeved top and your neck should be covered. Make sure you reapply your suncream every 2-3 hours and drink some water every half an hour."
In England the attitude is more like...
"Sunburn? What?...I'm pretty sure you need some sun for that."
So that means sunburnt people in Adelaide, despite the copious amount of sun, are quite a rare thing. This partly explains my experience in the pharmacy earlier.
I role up thinking, hey, I'm sunburnt! But it's been sunny! These things happen! And one of the helpful pharmacutical ladies wander up to me...
"Are you looking for anything in particular?"
"Uuuurm, yes, wheres the aftersun please?"
"Oh, just over here. Oh yes, you are sunburnt. Did that happen today? Only today and its that red already?! Oooh, it's going to get worse! Hey Bruce! BRUCE!!! Come and have a look at this"
*Me trying to look very VERY consumed with my choice in aftersun"
"Oooh, blimey! That only happened today?! Is it itching yet? Oooh, it'l probably start itching. You should get some stuff for that itching!"
Within half an hour I had ALL the staff circling me. Sighing and oohing and shaking their heads. A few of them also seemed to think that due to my accent I couldn't really understand them. This lead to a couple of ridiculous hand gestures. One of them suggested I use yogurt, to draw out the heat. This was followed by a thigh slapping gesture. If anyone can work out the link between these two please let me know.


Anyway, I'm off to have a cold shower, smear myself in aftersun and hide my face due to high levels of shame!
T.T.F.N
Yours pinkly (Jake's input)
Beth

4 comments:

  1. hay pinkie lobster gril, good to hear things are good. Lils keeping a book for you. Here we're all sun safe, which you'll be pleased to know, have you got my croc yet? pretty excited. You know my b days coming round once more so make it a big one
    love dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uuurm, Dad, about the crocodile thing. Theyre really strict with taking animals/plants/bananas out of the country so I probably wont be able to get you one. Especially not one that with a bit of imagination I could probably take the cabin crew hostage with. Sorry about that :/. I'm sure I could get you a mini koala holding the Australian flag! Theyre pretty over run with those over here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, i now have tears rolling down my face having read your lobster blog out loud to dad, who i've now discovered read it already, cos he's made a comment!!!! hope the sun burn heals quick. have fb you other stuff. Much Love Ems x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha ha. I have just learnt how to comment ..and I too thinks its funny but I am SURE I told you sun goes through clouds.I am feeling guilty now..My daughter didn't know this info and was burnt.How very embarassing. I am with emms with the laughter and that you heal quick...If we all nag you maybe you will manage not to do the lobster dance in the chemists again..accompanied by the chorus of, 'Bruce come and look at this sheila!!' lol....

    ReplyDelete