Monday 14 February 2011

A quick shout out to my boy, St Valentine!

Nobody seems very happy about valentines day! I feel a bit sorry for it to be honest. There seems to be three major groups of thought when it comes to views on the 14th of Feb.
Group 1: Full of recently/bitterly single people who seem to think Valentines day is purposefully and shamelessly rubbing the fact that they have no-one to share it with in their face. I mean, a day of the year should be more tactful than that!
Group 2: People who take the day very seriously and like to drool all over it, investing in hundreds of flowers and chocolates. (These are the people who buy those ridiculously over priced cards that sing the song from the titanic when you open them, and those mugs that say things like "My Luuuurve Bug!")
and Group 3: Very synical people who come out with things like "It's just another pointless day of the year where card companies take advantage of people who are stupidally in love or just plain stupid. If you love someone you should show them everyday, there shouldn't have to be a day of the year allocated to it!" (Admitedly theirs a bit of a crossover between group one and group 3. It's just those in group 3 cover up their lack of Valentines with social outrage!)
My view is that yes, the days a bit stupid, but it's all really just a bit of fun. Stop taking it so seriously!

Anyways, in the spirit of St Valentines, I'm going to share one of mine and Jakes more romantic moments,
We're sitting on the sofa, I'm all snuggled in and we're watching TV. It's all very lovely, and after a bit of thinking I come out with,
"Jake, I really really love you" (or something to that effect)
Theres a bit of a pause, and I can hear the thoughtful silence from Jake's end of the sofa. 
He goes to open his mouth, and I know he's about to say something heart flutteringly lovely. I hold my breath...

"I should have gone to Poundland. I could have picked up some toothbrushes."

...I let out the "held breath"
If he had come out with anything else I would have stormed off in a oestrogen fueled rage, and I tried to at least give him the silent treatment, purely out of principle! But it was the most ridiculous thing he could have said. I fail to imagine anything that could sound less romantic than a boyfriend pining over poundland toothbrushes. So in the end I felt slightly rejected, but mostly amused, and so the moment was saved...a little bit. :)
That's the thing about Valentines day, yes you should let someone know you love them every day, but that doesn't mean its romantic! It's the everyday little, ridiculous things that make you love someone. So I say good on Valentines day! For trying to bring the glamourous side of romance into the lives of hundreds of people all around the world!
And if you still feel a deep burning resentment for Valentines day, just make the most of those half price bottles of champagne and have a day to celebrate your friends, family, or just simply you. 

Happy Valentines Day. No, really, I mean it.
T.T.F.N
X

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here Here..We all know men may mean well but say the most strange things at the most intimate times. We also know that men do not understand why us women make such a fuss over things..we are different. Jake sounded like he had a well blonde moment ha ha ha ha.....but Beth will be the first to admit she has fair share too. However I have to say score wise...lol.... Jake 1000 Beth 2....ha ha ha.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and I am in group one. I say shoot the postman on Valentines day :D.

    ReplyDelete